It’s been too long since I have given you a new exciting recipe to try. I hope to be posting more often again. Here is a very tasty dish from tonight that the family really enjoyed. The best thing is that it is a complete meal with veggies already included.
Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Preheat oven 375o
Estimated Values per serving:
Calories = 300 Fat = 8 grams
1 ½ broccoli
1 ½ pounds cooked skinless/boneless chicken breast – cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon canola oil
¼ cup onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup sherry
3 – 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup flour
1 cup skim milk
6 ounces grated low fat cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add broccoli and cook for about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add to a large bowl with cooked chicken and toss.
- Coat a 9-by-13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat, coat with cooking spray, add oil and chopped onion. Cooke 3 – 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add sherry, scraping any pieces from the pan an cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, broth and flour then add to skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly and has thickened. Remove from heat and add Swiss cheese, stirring until all the cheese has melted.
- Pour cheese sauce into mixing bowl with chicken and broccoli, adding salt and pepper to taste and toss until well coated.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Mix the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together then sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned on top.