Braised Beef with Mushrooms
Serves 4 – 6
Estimated Calories per serving: 530
Fat grams: 10
1 – 1 ½ pounds sirloin steak
½ cup flour
1 Tablespoon canola oil
16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup red wine
28 ounces chopped tomatoes
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Cut beef into 1 ½ inch steaks. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, heat oil and add steaks. Cook until browned, 3 – 4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Add onion and cook until soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute then add wine, tomatoes, thyme and any additional salt and pepper for flavor. Bring to a boil and then add steaks.
- *Allow to simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes (see note below). Stir in vinegar and serve
*Note: Simmering longer will make the beef tender.