I was hoping to give you a kickin’ carrot cupcake recipe tonight but it didn’t turn out quite right. My family ate them up but the texture was a little gummy for my taste so I am offering you our dinner course instead. The Southwest chicken recipe is simple and I hope you like it as much as we did.
Grilled Southwest Chicken
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 – 15 minutes
6 skinless/boneless split chicken breasts
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Hickory smoke salt
¼ cup reduced fat sour cream
½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
2 tablespoon fresh cilantro – minced
1 cup salsa
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder and hickory salt and rub a generous amount on each chicken breast.
- Heat indoor grill on high heat and spray with cooking spray and add chicken. Grill 5 – 7 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sour cream, cheese and cilantro and blend well.
- Spread a little of the cheese mixture on each chicken breast. Spray a 9 X 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and arrange chicken breasts in the baking dish.
- Set oven to high broil and broil chicken for about 5 minutes or until cheese mixture is bubbly.
- Remove baking dish from oven, arrange chicken breasts on a serving platter and serve with salsa on the side.
Calories = 165 Fat = 4.5 grams
One of the best ways to create delicious and flavorful low fat meals is by adding spices. Most spices have very few calories and no fat. The grilled chicken breast that we for dinner tonight offered something flavorful to what could normally be a very boring. The only thing to be aware of is that you want to marinate the chicken breasts the night before so they can pick up all the flavors. If there are spices that you do not like in the recipe, have fun and substitute with something that you do like.
Enjoy and happy spicing!!
Grilled Cajun Chicken Breast with Spicy Rice
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
¼ cup orange juice
Juice of 1 lime
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon rum
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
1 teaspoon thyme
¼ teaspoon allspice
2 pounds skinless/boneless chicken breast
Spicy Rice Ingredients:
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 cup long grain brown rice
1 cup corn kernels
½ green bell pepper – chopped
1/3 cup black beans from a can – drained and rinsed
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large sealable bag, add chicken breast and marinate overnight.
- The night of dinner: Combine the vegetable broth, paprika and Cajun seasoning to a boil then add rice. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, combine corn and bell pepper in a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon water and cook in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add beans and set aside.
- Heat grill on high heat, remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Spray grill with cooking spray and add chicken breast. Grill for 5 – 7 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- When rice is cooked, add corn and beans and spoon onto a serving platter. Place chicken breasts on top and serve.
Estimated Nutritional Value per serving:
Calories = 473 Fat = 3 grams