This is a recipe I have been making for over 20 years. It never fails and is always a crowd favorite. It is called Thanksgiving stuffing but trust me, it is great anytime of the year and it works with pork, chicken or steak. Stuffing…it is not just for turkey anymore!!
Preheat oven 375o
Estimated Calories per serving: 208
Fat Grams: 2
2 Tablespoons low calorie/low fat butter spread
1 onion, chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored & chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
3.5 ounces roasted chestnuts, chopped
½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
2 ¼ – 2 ¾ cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 – 16-ounce bag herb seasoned stuffing
- Coat large saucepan with cooking spray and melt 1 Tablespoon butter spread on medium high heat.
- Add chopped onion, cover and sauté for 3 – 5 minutes until onion is soft but not browned.
- Add apples and celery and sauté for another 3 – 5 minutes until apples and celery are softened.
- Add chestnuts, cranberries and broth. Stir in poultry seasoning, onion powder and nutmeg.
- Turn off heat and add stuffing and mix until all the stuffing is moistened. If the stuffing is a bit dry, add a little more broth a time until all of the bread is moistened.
- Spoon stuffing into a large baking dish and bake, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Uncover stuffing, spread 1 Tablespoon butter spread on top and bake, uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with your meal.