It is winter time and what goes better on a cold, snowy night than a nice hot bowl of chili? I put this recipe together with the idea of really enjoying a hearty meal that is light on the mid-section. I did serve this with brown rice and although the rice adds calories, brown rice is much healthier then white rice so you can enjoy. Stay warm and enjoy!
Low Fat Beef Chili
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours slow cooker or 2 hours stovetop cooking
Estimated values per serving:
Calories = 350 Fat = 6 grams
1 onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup Jack Daniels
2 – 2 ½ pounds London broil, cubbed
1 – 2 jalapenos peppers, seeded and minced
2 (12 ounce) jars chili sauce
1 can (28 ounces ) crushed tomatoes
2 – 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon hickory smoke salt
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (15.5 ounces) can of red kidney beans or black beans
1. Heat a large pot on medium and coat with cooking spray. Add beef and sauté for 5 minutes until browned.
2. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes more then add garlic to sauté for 1 minute. Add Jack Daniels and cook until liquid is absorbed.
3. Add jalapenos, chili sauce, tomatoes, Tabasco sauce, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, hickory smoke salt, liquid smoke and oregano and stir.
4. Once the mixture comes to a boil, you can lower the heat and keep on the stove to simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or transfer to a crock pot and set on high for 4 hours and low for an additional 2 hours.
5. Stir in beans ½ hour before the chili will be served. Serve hot.