Preheat Oven 350o
Estimated Calories per serving: 180
Fat: 2 grams
1 ½ cups flour
¾ cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 Tablespoon low fat/low calorie butter spread, melted
½ cup egg substitute
3 overripe bananas, mashed
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, mix together apple sauce, melted butter spread, egg substitute and mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients and mix on slow speed until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Cool at least 10 minutes
- Loosen sides and remove pans.
Original Post 2011: Here’s a great summer BBQ side to try this holiday weekend. It’s easy, quick & delicious.
Southwest Corn Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Refrigerate: 1 to 2 hours or overnight
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 130 Fat: 4 grams
6 slices turkey or center cut (low fat) bacon
3 cups corn kernels
1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans – rinsed and drained
½ cup minced red onion
½ cup red or green bell peppers
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chili peppers
¼ cup fresh cilantro – finely chopped
¼ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Few drops of Tabasco (optional)
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat, coat with cooking spray and fry bacon for 5 – 7 minutes until browned. Remove from heat and cool on paper towels.
- Crumble cooled bacon.
- In a small pot, boil ¼ cup water and add corn. Cook until tender for about 5 minutes. Rinse, drain and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine corn, black beans, onions, bell peppers, chili peppers, cilantro and bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice and Tabasco. Pour on top of corn mixture and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.