Making Southwest Chicken Skillet in advance: Cook chicken in skillet until done then remove from stovetop and place in the refrigerator. About 15 minutes before it is time to eat, reheat the chicken on the stove for about 10 minutes or until it reaches a boil on medium heat then remove chicken, add cheese, broil and serve.
Southwest Chicken Skillet
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 260 Fat: 6 grams Points: 6
4 bone-in skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
5 scallions – white parts only chopped
1 jalapeno pepper – finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
½ reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Brown for about 3 – 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add scallions and jalapeno pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes until browned.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts to the skillet, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat the broiler on high heat. Remove chicken breasts from skillet and place in an oven safe pan. Sprinkle a little cheese on each breast and broil for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce into a serving platter, top with chicken breasts and serve.
2 thoughts on “Make Ahead Meals – Week 2”
My wife made this dish on Sunday. Great flavor, easy to make, presents well. Nice idea Dina!
Thanks – I am so glad it worked out well. Let me know if there are any favorite dishes you likethat you may want “lightened” up too, I love a challange.