This is a beautiful sweet treat for your love this Valentine’s holiday. It takes a little while to prepare but you can make all of the components in advance and assemble at the last minute. Instead of buying something at a store, add a little romance to this holiday season and bake up some love instead.
Preheat oven 300o
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes + 45 minutes cool time in oven
Decorating Time: 10 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 375 Fat: 6 grams
3 egg whites – at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cream of tarter
Dash of salt
15 drops red food coloring (optional)
1 cup sugar
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and draw 6 hearts as a template for the shells. Turn over parchment paper and set onto baking sheet.
- In a electric mixer, add egg whites, vanilla, cream of tarter, salt and food coloring. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (the tips curl). Slowly add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until very stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up).
- Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe the meringue onto the parchment paper, using your heart drawing as a guide. Build the sides of the hearts up so they form a shallow cup. Save a little of the meringue to create 6 rosettes on the parchment paper between the hearts.
- Bake for 35 minutes then turn off the oven, keep the door closed, and let stand in the oven for at least 45 more minutes.
- Remove the meringues and cool.
Chocolate Ganache hearts:
1 (6 ounce) bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Chambord liquor
2 tablespoons fat free half and half
- Spray a silicon heart or chocolate heart mold with cooking spray and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl and add Chambord.
- Heat the half and half until steaming hot. Pour the half and half into the chocolate mixture and mix until all the chocolate is melted.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the molds. Refrigerate until form.
1 bag ( ounces) frozen raspberries – defrosted
2 tablespoons Chambord liquor
2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine raspberries, Chambord and sugar in a blender.
- Puree for about 30 seconds until mashed.
Fat free whipped cream (from a can or whipped topping)
Chocolate ganache hearts
- Place a large heart on a dessert plate. Spread whipped cream on one side with raspberry sauce on the other side.
- Place a rosette in the middle of the heart.
- Place a chocolate heart to one side.
- Serve and enjoy.