It was a crazy day so the only meal we ate at home was breakfast. On the weekends, we often make open-faced omelets for breakfast and is what we did this morning. Since, the chives in our herb planter have sprouted I included them in the omelets today but you can have fun and use whatever herbs or seasonings you like. To keep it low fat but still get the omelet to “puff”, I use 2 eggs with about ¾ cup of egg substitute. This morning I made individual omelets for each person so that we can add what we like to them but you can also make one in a large oven safe skillet and cut it into wedges as well.
Open Egg Omelets
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Preheat oven 425o
2 eggs – beaten
¾ cup egg substitute
1 tablespoon chives
Salt and pepper to taste
2 ounces farmer’s cheese – crumbled
- Beat eggs, egg substitute, chives and salt and pepper in a large measuring cup.
- Heat 3 oven safe omelet pans (or one large oven safe skillet) on medium high heat and spray with cooking spray then pour equal amounts of egg mixture in each.
- Add equal amounts of farmer’s cheese on top.
- Nick’s omelet: cut small pieces from 1 slice of low fat American cheese and add on top.
- Dean’s omelet: add crumbled goat cheese on top.
- Dina’s omelet: spoon about 2 tablespoons of salsa on top.
- Allow omelets to “set” on the bottom of each pan then transfer them to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and egg mixture does not move when you shake the pan.
- Remove from oven, and, using a spatula, transfer onto individual plates and serve.
Estimated Values per serving:
American cheese omelet calories = 190 Fat = 9
Goat cheese omelet calories = 220 Fat = 11
Salsa omelet calories = 170 Fat = 5