Most desserts get a bad reputation because they are made of a lot of butter, sugar and other stuff that is usually a “no no” when we are trying to watch what we eat. But let’s face it, if you’re like me where dessert is the favorite course of a meal, it’s hard to just say no every day. Here is something that I made today that at least includes fruit and oatmeal and is “Delicious & Light”.
Dark Cherry Bars
Preheat oven 350o
1 – 16 ounce bag of frozen dark pitted cherries – defrosted
¼ cup Chambord (raspberry liquor)
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup sugar
Topping and Crust:
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup low calorie butter spread
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Place pitted cherries into a food processor and puree until chunky.
- In a saucepot, stir in Chambord with cornstarch. Add cherries and sugar and cook until thick and bubbly (about 10 minutes). Mixture should be about as thick as a fruit preserve. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Prepare crust and topping: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking soda and stir until combined.
- Add melted butter spread and stir until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spray a 9 X 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of the baking pan, Spoon the filling on top then add the remaining oatmeal mixture on top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool then cut into 12 squares and serve.