A cordon bleu or schnitzel cordon bleu is a dish of meat wrapped around cheese, then breaded and pan-fried or deep-fried. Chicken, Veal or pork cordon bleu is made of veal or pork pounded thin and wrapped around a slice of ham and a slice of cheese, breaded, and then pan fried and baked. This recipe is made with a simple to make cheese sauce, which really compliments the chicken. Enjoy!!!
Preheat oven 375o
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 – 45 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 490 Fat: 10 grams
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups skim milk
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 ounces thinly sliced reduced fat Swiss cheese
¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Whisk four and milk in a saucepan on medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, add cheeses and pepper and stir until cheese is melted. Cover and set aside.
4 chicken cutlets (total of 1 ½ pounds or 24 ounces)
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 cup egg substitute
8 thinly sliced reduced fat Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
8 thinly sliced deli ham slices (6 ounces)
- Make sauce and cover to keep warm.
- Pound each chicken cutlet until it is about ¼ inch thin (thinner is easier to roll). Cut each in half for a total of 8 cutlets.
- Cut deli ham meat into 8 slices and Swiss cheese into 8 slices.
- Place a ham slice inside the chicken cutlet and then a slice of cheese. Roll up each breast tightly. Continue until all chicken cutlets are rolled with the cheese and ham inside.
- Dip each in egg then roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook the rolled chicken cutlets for about 5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Pour 2/3 sauce into an oven safe baking dish. Place cutlets in a single layer on top of sauce then spoon remaining sauce on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered then 5 – 10 minutes uncovered until bubbly and browned.
- Serve hot.
TIPS FOR ROLLING CHICKEN CUTLETS:
- You can use plastic wrap on the outside of the chicken cutlets when rolling to get a tight roll. This will help from the chicken falling away from the ham and cheese center.
- You can secure with toothpicks and remove after cooking in the skillet.