A friend of mine was telling me how she really enjoyed these sweet tortilla crisps at her sister’s BBQ. The originals are coated in butter then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and baked. I was thinking about how I could make these without the butter while also enhancing it a little and here is what I came up with. I had my friend try these to make sure they passed the “delicious” test and she said they made the grade. If you prefer, you can omit the ice cream and simply cut the tortillas, coat with cooking spray, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake too.
Mexican Style Ice Cream Sandwiches
Preheat oven 425o
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 200 Fat: 5 grams
10 medium flour soft tortillas
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 ½ cups low fat ice cream
- Cut 2 circles in each tortilla (about the size of a large biscuit).
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray and sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top.
- Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the uncoated (non-sugared) side of each tortilla on the baking sheet and cook for 10 – 15 minutes until crisp.
- Remove tortilla crisps and cool on a wire rack.
- Scoop about ¼ cup ice cream onto one of the tortilla crisps then add another tortilla crisp so that the ice cream is “sandwiched” between two crisps. Continue until you have 10 total ice cream sandwiches.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.