I served these on Sunday over the holiday weekend and they were such a hit, Dean went out and bought all the ingredients Monday morning so I could cook up another order for some family friends. They are a little heavier on calories and fat than most recipes I cover but after having 2 (which is a serving size), you are full for a while. You can even have these as a meal with a salad on the side and feel very satisfied.
Preheat oven 425o
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 360 Fat: 10 grams
1 – 1 ½ loaves Italian bread – cut into 24 slices
1 eggplant – cut into 24 thin slices
3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup egg substitute
24 ounces (1 ½ pounds) low fat mozzarella cheese – thinly sliced
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, basil and oregano
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sweat eggplant slices by lightly coating with salt and placing paper towels on top to absorb the excess water. Rinse salt off of the eggplant slices.
- While eggplant is sweating, coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray and add sliced Italian bread. Toast for about 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and coat with cooking spray. Dip eggplant slices in egg substitute then coat with bread crumbs. Add to the skillet and cook for about 3 – 5 minutes on each side to brown the bread crumbs.
- Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray and add browned eggplant slices. Roast for 15 minutes until eggplant is cooked through.
- Top the toasted Italian bread with a slice of mozzarella, an eggplant slice, a little diced tomatoes and some grated parmesan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and serve.