Most families have traditional holiday meals that usually stem from their ethnic background and my family is no exception. Coming from a Greek American background, our Easter dinner usually consists of roasted lamb with orzo, Greek salad, spinach pie, pastsio and rice pudding for dessert. Here is a recipe I’d like to share with you that lightens up a traditionally very heavy dish.
Pastitsio – Greek Style Baked ziti with meat
Preheat Oven 350o
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook & Bake Time: 50 – 60 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 420 Fat: 7 grams
½ pound ziti pasta
1 onion – chopped
1 clove garlic – minced
½ pound ground sirloin
½ pound ground turkey breast meat
Salt and pepper
½ cup white wine
1 cup tomato sauce
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup egg substitute
1 cup fat free half and half
2 cups skim milk
½ cup flour
¾ cup egg substitute
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add ziti, cook for 5 minutes until al dente (firm). Drain ziti and rinse with cold water. Spoon into a bowl and set aside.
- Make the meat filling: Heat a large skillet on medium low heat, coat with cooking spray and add onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened and browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Increase the stovetop burner heat to medium high and add ground beef and turkey and sauté for about 7 minutes until the meat is cooked and browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add white wine and cook until all the liquid has absorbed. Add tomato sauce and heat for about 2 minutes. Spoon meat filling into the bowl with ziti and cool while preparing the cream sauce.
- Make cream sauce: In a large pot, whisk together half and half, milk, flour, egg substitute and nutmeg. Heat the stovetop burner on medium low, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly and thick. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Once the meat mixture is cooled, add the ¼ cup parmesan cheese and ½ cup egg substitute.
- To assemble: Coat an 8 X 12 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Spoon meat and ziti mixture on the bottom. Spread the cream sauce on top.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.