Italian Wedding Soup
Preheat oven 375o
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 200 Fat:4 grams
½ (8 ounces) pound ground turkey breast meat
½ (8 ounces) pound ground sirloin
½ cup Italian style bread crumbs
¼ cup egg substitute
1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning – separated
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ box (8 ounces) orzo pasta
10 cups low fat chicken broth
1 package (10 ounces) chopped frozen spinach
2 bay leaves
- To make the meatballs: Combine the ground turkey, ground sirloin, bread crumbs, egg substitute, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and parmesan cheese and mix well with your hands.
- Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray and set on the side. Roll meat mixture into small balls (about ½ teaspoon in size) and place meatballs on broiler pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, boil orzo pasta until al dente (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse and set aside.
- In a large pot, combine chicken broth, frozen spinach, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, bay leaves and cooked orzo and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Once meatballs are cooked, add them to the soup and serve hot with parmesan cheese on the side.