Eggnog Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
Preheat oven 325o
Estimated values per serving:
Calories = 400 Fat = 6 grams Points: 6
Bread Pudding Ingredients:
6 cups of cubed sweet bread (Challah)
4 cups low fat eggnog
¾ cups egg substitute
½ cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Bread Pudding Directions:
- Toast cubed bread in the broiler until slightly browned (about 1 minute), turn bread over and broil on the other side until lightly browned (about 1 more minute). Place toasted bread in a bowl and pour eggnog on top. Allow the bread to soak in the eggnog for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg substitute, sugar, vanilla and rum extract and nutmeg. Pour on top of bread mixture and gently fold in.
- Coat an 8 X 12 baking pan with cooking spray. Spoon bread pudding into baking dish. Bake 1 hour. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
Rum Sauce Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons rum
Rum Sauce Directions:
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Add brown sugar and stir until sugar is moistened.
- Add rum and ignite. Cook rum sauce until the flames have disappeared and the sugar is dissolved (about 2 minutes).
- Pour sauce over cooled bread pudding and serve at room temperature.
One thought on “Eggnog Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce”
Really good base Challah Bread Pudding Recipe although I like mine less bread and more custardy. I doubled everything but the bread and used an old fashioned wide loaf pan… maximizing the custard. The rum sauce was also doubled flaming off each rum in single recipe parts) — just make sure the brown sugar is dissolved before flaming and pour the rum gentle keeping it mostly surfaced and it flames more easily. This rum sauce is much easier than the ones with syrup and cream … and it tastes like the rum (I used captain morgan’s Spiced Rum Special Reserve in the dark rectangular bottle) and it came out very tasty! I served it with vanilla bean ice cream with more rum sauce on top… OUTSTANDING!