Years ago, when I first met my husband, he would talk endlessly about how his mother would make “macaroni and gravy” every Sunday night for dinner. When I first heard of this, I thought it sounded disgusting and had visions of macaroni with brown gravy, like the kind you pour on roast beef. However, when I had the pleasure of eating at his mother’s house that first Sunday did I understand what he meant; “macaroni and gravy” is pasta topped with a rich tasting tomato sauce that had simmered in some type of meat all day.
Dean, my husband, and I have modified the original recipe so that it is no longer dripping in grease yet still maintains that delicious rich and hearty flavor. This “gravy” is so good, you don’t need to add anything and is perfect just the way it is.
From our family to your, enjoy this Italian tradition – modified so that it is “delicious and light”.
Macaroni and Gravy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (you could cook all day too)
Estimated values per serving:
Calories = 570 Fat = 7 grams Points: 6
½ pound London broil
½ pound skinless/boneless chicken breast
Salt and pepper to taste
2 small onions – chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup red wine – divided
3 cloves garlic – minced
2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomato
1 tomato can (28 ounces) of water
2 tablespoons double concentrate tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
Parsley flakes to taste (about 2 teaspoons)
Dried basil to taste (about 2 teaspoons)
½ pound pasta
- Season London broil and chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large pot on medium high heat, coat with cooking spray and add olive oil. Add London broil and chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Remove meats from the pot and add onion. Sauté for 5 minutes until soft and browned. Add ½ cup red wine and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Add garlic and the other ½ cup wine and cook until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, fill one can with water and add to the pot, tomato paste, sugar, parsley and basil and bring to a boil.
- Add back the London broil and chicken and simmer on low for 1 hour (tasting to adjust seasonings as needed).
- While the “gravy” is simmering for the last 10 minutes, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook for about 8 minutes until done.
- Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Add “gravy” to pasta. Serve meats on a separate serving platter.