Broccoli rabe is a very nutritious vegetable but tends to be a little bitter. If your family doesn’t like the taste of broccoli rabe, you can substitute it with escarole or spinach instead.
Sausage and Broccoli Rabe with Polenta
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 390 Fat: 9 grams Points: 6
1 cup instant polenta
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
½ cup white wine
12 ounce package sun dried tomato chicken sausage
1 bunch broccoli rabe – stems removed and chopped*
1 – 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook polenta as the labels directs. Remove from heat, stir in parmesan cheese and cover to keep warm.
- Remove casing from chicken sausage and chop, set aside until ready to sauté.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, covered, until soft and browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Add sausage and sauté for about 5 minutes until browned.
- Add broccoli rabe, cover and sauté for about 6 minutes until tender. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Spoon polenta onto a serving platter and then spoon sausage and broccoli rabe on top and serve.
*NOTE: Escarole or spinach can be substituted for broccoli rabe. If cooking with spinach, add it at the very end of the dish after simmering to prevent overcooking.