Make Ahead Tip:
– Assemble dish the morning of or night before, refrigerate and roast in the oven for 45 minutes. All your prep work and most of your cleanup is done; just cook and serve. Nice and easy, that’s a good deal for a weeknight.
For those who like sweet and spicy:
Roast Pork with Cabbage
Preheat oven 350o
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 310 Fat: 9 grams Points: 6
½ head small red cabbage – sliced thin
1 large onion – sliced thin
1 – 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes – chopped with juices reserved
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup water
¼ cup brown sugar
2 – 3 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 pound boneless pork loin roast
Salt and pepper to season
2 cloves garlic – minced
- Combine cabbage and onion and place in a large roasting pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes and juice, ketchup, water, brown sugar and Tabasco sauce. Pour sauce on top of cabbage and onions.
- Rub garlic, salt and pepper on pork and place pork on top of cabbage and onion mixture.
- Cover roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes. Increase heat to 450o, uncover roasting pan and cook for another 15 minutes until meat is browned, basting occasionally.
- Remove roasting pan from oven, remove pork from pan and cover for 10 minutes before carving.
- Spoon cabbage and onion mixture onto a serving platter and place pork on top. Top pork with a bit of sauce and serve.