Penne with Vodka Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 ½ hours
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 275 Fat: 2 grams Points: 5
½ small onion – minced
1 clove garlic – minced
½ cup white wine
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons fresh basil – finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper
¾ cup vodka
½ cup fat free half and half
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 pound high fiber penne pasta
- Heat a large saucepot on medium heat, spray with cooking spray and add onions. Sauté for 3 – 5 minutes until softened and browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, bay leaf, salt and pepper and simmer for about 60 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cool sauce. Pour sauce into a food processor and puree.
- Pour sauce back into saucepot, add vodka and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, cook penne in a large pot of water, about 8 minutes, then drain.
- Stir half and half and cheese into vodka sauce until the cheese is melted and blended. Add drained penne to the sauce and toss to coat then serve.