This is a great easy meal that can be made ahead of time. I cooked the sauce in the morning and heated it 10 minutes before dinner while the penne was cooking.
Spicy Chicken Sausage with Penne
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 400 Fat: 7 grams Points: 8
1 package (12 ounces) chicken sausage with jalapenos and red peppers – coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
½ cup white wine
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh basil – chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
½ teaspoon dried oregano
8 ounces (1/2 box) high fiber penne pasta (*)
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and add sausage. Sauté for 5 minutes until browned. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine, scraping any pieces from the bottom of the pan and cook until it comes to a boil.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and basil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 20 minutes before serving, add oregano and continue to simmer.
- 10 minutes before serving, bring water to a boil on high heat and add penne. Cook 8 – 10 minutes or until done.
- Strain penne and pour into a serving platter. Spoon sausage sauce on top and serve.
(*) “Smart Pasta” with 7 grams of fiber per serving.
NOTE: the sausage sauce can be made in advance and reheated when ready to serve.