I love the mini desserts that you can get at some restaurants so I purchased 20-4 ounce dessert cups and will be experimenting this week. Here is the first dessert idea:
Strawberry Mini cups with Lime Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Refrigeration: 1 – 5 hours (or overnight)
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories: 200 Fat: 2 grams Points: 4
¾ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 packet sugar free strawberry flavored gelatin
2 pounds strawberries – sliced
1/3 cup vanilla wafers – crushed
10 – 4 ounce dessert cups
Whipped cream or whipped topping (optional)
- Combine pineapple juice, sugar and cornstarch in a small pot and set over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture become bubbly and thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved and spoon into a large bowl.
- Add strawberries and gently toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 – 4 hours or until set.
Lime Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup egg substitute
½ cup sugar
Zest of 1 lime
½ cup lime juice
- Whisk together all ingredients.
- Set over a pot of simmering water.
- Stirring constantly, cook for about 7 – 10 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.
- Separate cookie crumbs amongst into the bottom of the dessert cups.
- Spoon a generous amount of strawberry filling into each cup.
- Spoon a little of the lime sauce on top then top with whipped topping (if using).
- Serve cold.
NOTE: The desserts may be assembled a day in advance, covered with plastic wrap with the whipped topping added right before serving.