Tonight I made Chicken Pot Pie. A trip to Atlantic City last month inspired me to try a low fat version of this comfort food. I had no idea this was one of Dean’s favorites and he ate 1 ½ pies. A note to anyone trying to keep off the weight: while low fat cooking can help you with weight management, it is useless if you eat more than your share. So enjoy but keep the portion control in check.
Happy portion control!
Chicken Pot Pie
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
Estimated Values per serving:
Calories = 430 Fat = 7 grams
Preheat oven 450o
1 pound boneless/skinless chicken breasts – cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 12-ounce bag of mixed frozen vegetables – defrosted
2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 onion – chopped
¼ cup cream sherry
½ cup fat free half and half
¼ cup skim milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon fresh thyme – finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dry)
¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon parsley flakes
1 ½ cups low fat biscuit mix
½ cup skim milk
2 tablespoons low fat butter spread – melted
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook 5 – 7 minutes until chicken is browned. Add vegetables and ½ cup of the chicken broth. Lower heat and simmer for 2 -3 minutes until vegetables are tender and liquid has been absorbed. Remove chicken and vegetables from skillet into a bowl, cover and set aside.
- Spray skillet again with cooking spray and add onions. Cook onions on medium heat for 3 – 5 minutes until browned and soft. Add sherry and cook until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and add onions to chicken mixture in the bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together half and half, milk and flour. Add chicken broth, flour mixture, thyme, poultry seasoning and parsley flakes to skillet. Cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Pour sauce into the chicken mixture bowl and toss gently.
- Evenly divide chicken mixture into 4 – 10 ounce ramekins.
- Make biscuit topping: In a bowl, mix together biscuit mix and skim milk until a dough forms. Knead dough a few times then roll dough into a large circle with rolling pin. Cut dough into 4 even circles that will cover the top of each ramekin.
- Top each ramekin with dough then brush with butter spread.
- Bake for 15 minutes until biscuit is golden brown and serve.