Last month when we were in Tennessee, I had a the most delicious shrimp and grits dinner at a restaurant. This dish inspired me and tonight I successfully re-created it while keeping it low fat.
Here it is, you have to check this one out.
Shrimp and Grits
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
4 cups water
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic – minced
1 cup grits
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 pound shrimp – peeled, deveined and tail removed
1/3 cup egg substitute
1 ½ cups Panko bread crumbs
3 slices turkey bacon – chopped
2 tablespoons parsley – chopped
½ cup scallions – green parts only chopped
- Boil water in a large pot on high heat. Add salt, pepper, garlic and stir in grits. Lower heat to low and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.
- While grits are simmering, dip shrimp in egg substitute then press into bread crumbs.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add bacon and cook 2 – 3 minutes until it is beginning to brown.
- Move the bacon to one side of the pan, then add shrimp into the pan in one layer. Once shrimp is in, spoon bacon over the shrimp.
- Cook shrimp for 2 – 3 minutes until ready to be turned over and add parsley and scallions. Cook shrimp with bacon, parsley and scallions until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- To serve, ad about ½ cup of the grits on the bottom of a shallow bowl, spoon grits and mixture on top and serve immediately.
NOTE: some of the breadcrumbs may fall off while cooking the shrimp, just spoon some on top when serving.
Estimated values per serving:
Calories = 385 Fat = 6 grams