Yesterday our friends gave us extra live clams that they did not use from Sunday. I was worried that they would die overnight (something no-one wants to experience) so I dropped them into a big pot, added beer and wine and cooked them. I figured that I’d come up with some idea for dinner tonight. As a result, clams became the inspiration for tonight.
I love clams casino but the clams I cooked last night were way too big. Generally speaking, the bigger the clams, the tougher they get. I looked to see what normally goes in clams casino, used a lot of the same flavors and came up with this idea. Unfortunately, I am not sure how my family liked dinner because I rushed out of the house for an appointment as soon as Dean arrived home.
Enjoy and happy clamming!
Penne with Clams Casino Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
24 large clams
1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
1 cup (8 ounces) white wine
4 slices turkey bacon – chopped
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups reserved clam liquid
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 (14.5 ounce) box of penne pasta
¼ cup Italian style bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place clams in a deep saucepot. Add beer and white wine and bring up to a boil on high heat. Cook clams until they are opened. NOTE: If 1 or 2 do not open, discard.
- Remove clams from pot and cool to room temperature, reserving 2 cups of the liquid.
- Remove clams from their shells, discarding the shells, and chop the clam meat. Set clam meat aside.
- Heat large sauce pan on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and add chopped bacon. Cook bacon until browned. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook about 5 minutes until soft. Add celery and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute then add the reserved clam liquid, water, oregano, parsley, paprika and chopped clam meat.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until clams are tender.
- While sauce is simmering, cook penne as per the package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Add penne to the sauce pan with bread crumbs and stir. Remove from heat, spoon into serving platter, sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and serve.
Estimated Values per serving:
Calories = 165 Fat = 4 grams