I love entertaining but am always surprised at how tired and drained I am when everyone has left. My mother cooked dinner today so I offered up the appetizers and desserts. Friday night I prepared the Three Cheese Spread, last night was the cake disaster and this morning I cooked Caramelized Onion Bruschetta. This recipe is always a favorite because it offers a savory flavor from the cheese that is offset by the sweetness of the onions.
Make sure you give yourself enough time to caramelize the onions which take almost an hour to cook. I wasn’t sure when my sister and her family were arriving and ended up being about ½ hour late with this appetizer. It was a good thing that the cold cheese spread appetizer was ready and on the table while I was finishing the onions.
Enjoy and happy entertaining!
Caramelized Onion Bruschetta
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: Aprox. 55 minutes
Olive oil cooking spray
3 onions – sliced very thin
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh basil – finely chopped
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
½ cup (4 ounces) crumbled farmer’s cheese
1 loaf French bread – cut into 24 slices
- Spray sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on low heat. Add sliced onions and cook covered, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Uncover pan and cook on medium heat for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Onions should get soft at first and then slowly brown.
- Add sugar and basil and continue to cook, covering the sauté pan for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover a large broil pan with cooking spray. Spray each slice of bread on both sides with cooking spray. Place the slices on the broil pan. Set the oven rack to medium height in oven and set oven to broil setting. Put the pan of bread in the oven and broil for about 5 minutes or until the bread begins to turn brown. Turn the sliced bread over and broil for another 3 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Mix the goat and farmers cheese in a small bowl and spread a cheese on each bread slice.
- Top each slice with the onions and place on serving platter.
Estimated Values per serving:
Calories = 264 Fat = 7 grams