I wasn’t sure what I was going to make for dinner tonight until about 3:30 when it hit me that dinner isn’t too far off. I had some chicken breasts in the freezer, plenty of pasta in the pantry and chicken broth that I always keep on hand. With that, I decided to throw it all together and came up with this recipe.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Chicken and Broccoli with Pasta
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 pound skinless/boneless chicken breasts – cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cup broccoli flowerets
2 cloves garlic – minced
¼ cup white wine
1 cup fat free chicken broth – separated
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon chervil
1/3 cup fat free half and half
2/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon flour
¼ cup parmesan cheese
½ box penne pasta
- Cook penne as per the package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray and add chicken. Sauté chicken pieces until browned.
- Add broccoli flowerets and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add wine, ½ cup of chicken broth, marjoram, basil, red pepper flakes and chervil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove chicken mixture from the skillet and place into a bowl, cover to keep warm.
- To cook the sauce: in a small bowl combine half and half, skim milk, ½ cup chicken broth and flour and whisk until combined. Add to skillet and heat on medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Drain penne and add to skillet with sauce. Stir in parmesan cheese then add chicken mixture and fold into sauce and penne.
- Spoon into serving platter and serve.