I love the inside of pecan pie but find myself picking off the pecans and skipping the crust because I know that they are very high in calories and fat. This dessert inspiration comes from pecan pie but without all the fat and calories. I removed the nuts and crust from the pie and did a meringue topping instead. What I came out with is a very sweet but delicious custard like dessert. Dean says this reminds him of flan with a meringue topping. However, it really cannot be in the “flan” family because it has no dairy in it and no caramel like sauce.
We both tried it after it came out of the oven and though it was great but unfortunately, I refrigerated it and it lost a lot in the cooling process. So I decided this would best be served slightly warm or at room temperature. The refrigeration does not do it justice.
Check it out:
Molasses Meringue Cups
Preheat oven 350o
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup egg substitute
¼ cup light corn syrup
¼ cup molasses
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ tablespoon cornstarch
3 egg whites – at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
4 tablespoons sugar
- Spray 10 4 ounce ramekins with cooking spray and set on a baking sheet. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, beat together brown sugar, egg substitute, corn syrup, molasses, vanilla and cornstarch on high speed until well combined. Set aside.
- In a different mixing bowl and using different beaters, combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and beat on high speed for 4 -5 additional minutes until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Assemble the cups by evenly pouring a little batter into each cup then spooning the meringue on top and spreading it until all the filling is covered.
- Bake at 350o for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 325o and bake another 10 – 15 minutes. The cups are done when you shake the baking pan and the filling inside is not jiggling.
- Remove from heat, cool for about 30 minutes and serve slightly warm.
Estimated Values per Serving:
Calories = 180 Fat = trace