My whole family would be quick to tell you that I am not much of a morning person. So, whenever we have overnight guests, I plan on something that takes minimal morning time effort.
If you are planning overnight guests, check this out. Apple Pie French Toast is easy because you do all the preparation the night before and in the morning, heat the oven & pop it in. Forty minutes later you have this amazingly sweet whole breakfast meal.
Enjoy and happy breakfasting!!
Apple Pie French toast
Prep time: approximately
Bake time: 40 – 45 minutes
Preheat oven 375o
½ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon – separated
2 Tablespoons reduced calorie and fat butter spread – melted
2 apples, peeled – cored and thinly sliced
¼ cup raisins
½ loaf Challah bread – cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup egg substitute
1 cup skim milk
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Spray a 13 X 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and melted butter spread. Add apples and raisins and toss. Set aside.
- Layer bread on the bottom of the baking pan. Mix egg substitute, milk, nutmeg, vanilla and remaining cinnamon until well blended. Pour mixture over bread, soaking completely.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over top of a bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake covered with foil, for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 4 – 5 additional minutes. Remove and let stand for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
TIP: If you cannot find Challah bread, any egg bread or soft sweet bread will also work.
Estimated Values per serving:
Calories = 302 Fat = 4 grams