I made this dessert last night for company in the spirit of the holiday. Unfortunately, I got a whole lot of teasing from family and friends because Trifle is English, not Irish. My apologies to anyone out there who is Irish; I meant no offense. I just thought it would be a nice compliment the heavy corned beef and cabbage meal.
prep and assembly time: about 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
NOTE: Needs several hours for custard to chill
½ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups skim milk
¾ cup egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan.
- Gradually whisk in milk until smooth, then egg substitute.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking gently, until mixture comes to a boil; about 7 – 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, whisking constantly for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on the custard with the plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
2 cups strawberries
11/2 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Chambord liquor (optional)
1 recipe of custard (recipe above)
1 cooked angel food cake
Extra berries for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, blueberries, sugar and liquor and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- In a large clear round serving bowl (trifle bowls are sold at most stores if you prefer), cut the angel food cake in the middle so that you have two pieces the same height (as if you are cutting a cake in half to frost the middle). Cut a slit in the round cakes. Place one half of the cake on the bottom of the cake bowl, then fit around the bottom of the bow, cutting out any extra cake. Use the extra piece of cake and place in the middle to fill the hole at the bottom of the bowl.
- Top cake with ½ of the berries then top with ½ of the pudding.
- Top the pudding with the remaining cake, then pudding then ending with the berries.
- Garnish with the extra berries.
Tip: Depending on the size of your serving bowl, you may have too much cake and may not need to use it all.
Estimated Calories and fat per serving:
Calories = 214 Fat = trace