I had 2 bananas today that were not going to make it unless I did something with them. I always feel guilty if I let food go bad so this morning I was determined to do something with these ripe bananas and came up with this:
Banana Cake with Maple Glaze
Preheat oven 350o
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
2 bananas – mashed
½ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
½ cup low calorie mayonnaise
½ cup egg substitute
¼ cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda ingredients. With electric beater on high speed, beat in bananas, yogurt, mayonnaise, egg substitute, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until well combined.
- Pour batter into a 9-inch spring form pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool to room temperature.
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
2 cups confectioner’s sugar – sifted
1 -2 teaspoons skim milk
1 tablespoon reduced calorie butter spread
- Place confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Combine maple syrup and brown sugar in a small saucepan and heat until bubbling.
- Remove maple syrup mixture from heat and pour into confectioner’s sugar while beating at low speed. Add enough milk until mixture becomes a thick glaze. Add butter spread and mix well.
- Pour glaze on top of cooled cake and spread on sides so that the top and sides are covered.