It’s a cold snowy day here and Nick has no school. This “Island Spiced Baked Apples” recipe can warm up the day. It’s a great fat free, healthy and filling snack that is easy to make too. I call it Island Spiced beacuse I bought the dark rum from Barbados when we were on vacation one year but any dark rum will do just fine. If you don’t have dark rum, you can use regular light rum instead.
Enjoy & Happy Baking!!
Island Spiced Baked Apples
Preheat oven 375o
4 large baking apples
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup allspice
1 tablespoon dark island rum (from Barbados or other high quality island rum)
¼ – 1/3 cup water
- Core apples with a round apple core tool ¾ of the way down. To do this, continuously twist the apple core tool around the center of the apple gently adding pressure to the inside of the apple and pull toward you to remove the center.
- In mini processor, combine raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice and pulse until raisins are chopped and mixture is combined. Add mixture to a small bowl and stir in rum.
- Fill each apple with sugar rum mixture, pressing into the apple to pack it down.
- Arrange apples in a baking dish and add water to the bottom of the pan (should just fill the bottom only by about ½ inch.
- Cover baking dish and bake 40 – 45 minutes (baking time will be dependent on the size and firmness of the apples) or until the apples just begin to crack and are soft to the touch.
- Serve hot.