Spices are a great way to add a lot of flavor without adding any calories or fat to your dishes.
Tonight we had a chicken and shrimp dish in a white wine sauce with “Herbes De Provence” to season it. This spice can be found in most grocery stores under the “McCormick” brand of spices. Some people like this spice and some don’t because it has rosemary in it. If you are not a fan of rosemary, you can make your own by combining marjoram, thyme and savory and leaving out the rosemary. But the sauce was a success for the whole family and I encourage you to try this recipe. I served this dish with cooked pasta which worked out pretty well but you can also serve it with rice.
Chicken and Shrimp Sauté in Wine Sauce
1 onion – coarsely chopped
2 medium zucchini (green squash) – coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic – minced
1 pound boneless/skinless chicken breast – cut into bite size pieces
½ pound shrimp – deveined and peeled with tails off
1 cup white wine
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1 teaspoon Herbes De Provence
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground mustard
2 tablespoons flour
1. Heat sauté pan on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onions and cook, covered, for about 3 minutes until browned, stirring frequently.
2. Add zucchini and sauté for another 5 minutes or until the onion and zucchini are softened. Add garlic, cook 1 minute uncovered. Remove vegetables from pan and place in a bowl, cover, and set aside.
3. Spray sauté pan again and add chicken. Sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes (depending on how large your pieces are) until almost cooked through. Add shrimp and sauté for another 3 – 5 minutes or until the chicken and shrimp are cooked. Remove from pan into the same bowl as the vegetables and cover to keep warm.
4. Add wine to the sauté pan, bring up to a boil and simmer until it is reduced to about half (this takes about 7 – 10 minutes).
5. In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, Herbes De Provence, salt, pepper, mustard and flour and whisk until combined. Add to the sauté pan with the wine and whisk while cooking until mixture become bubbly and thick.
6. Reduce heat and allow sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Add chicken, shrimp and vegetables to sauté pan and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes.
8. Serve with rice or pasta.