We visited my father-in-law today and promised to bring an onion soup since it’s one of our favorites. This soup is always a big hit with friends and family, is so easy to prepare and didn’t disappoint tonight.
French Onion Soup
5 large sweet white onions – thinly sliced
¼ cup sherry
1 tablespoon brown sugar
6 cups reduced fat beef broth
1 tablespoon fresh thyme – minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
6 slices French bread – toasted
6 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese (or provolone)
1. Heat large saucepot on medium low heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onions, cover, and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Increase heat to medium and cook another 15 minutes until onions are browned, stirring frequently.
3. Add sherry and sugar and cook until liquid is absorbed.
4. Add beef broth and thyme. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes.
5. To serve – scoop a serving of soup in a bowl. Place a slice of bread then a slice of cheese on top so that it rests on the bread. Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.