Today we returned from a great vacation. Of course, there was almost no food in the house and I had to find something to make for dinner. One of the staples I always keep around are bags of dried beans so I made Country Style Split Pea Soup. This is a hearty soup with a lot of flavor and only a little bit of fat coming only from the turkey bacon. It works great on a cold winter day and is really easy to prepare. You don’t even have to soak split peas before cooking with them which also makes it a little quicker to prepare than a traditional bean soup.
Here is the recipe…Enjoy!!
Country Style Split Pea Soup
1 pound (1-16 ounce bag) split peas
4 slices turkey bacon – chopped
1 onion – chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
¾ cup white wine
¼ cup whiskey
6 cups fat free chicken broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1. Heat large sauce pot on medium low heat and spray with cooking spray. Add turkey bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
2. Add onions and cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until soft.
3. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
4. Add wine and Jack Daniels and cook on medium heat until reduced by ½.
5. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil on high heat.
6. Add split peas, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, bay leaf and paprika, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
7. Add oregano and liquid smoke and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool soup to room temperature.